Thursday, March 17, 2011

Blessed be God

I just got a new prayer book called Blessed Be God. It's a reprint of a 1960 prayer book, complete with the Latin Tridentine Mass prayers. This little book walks you through the path to sanctity starting from when you wake up to when you go to bed at night. It is well worth the cover price. One of my favourite prayers is this one, by Saint Alphonsus, said before retiring for the night:

Lord Jesus Christ, my God, I adore Thee and thank Thee for all the blessings Thou hast conferred upon me this day. I offer Thee my rest and all the moments of this night, and I beseech Thee to protect me from all sin. Therefore I place myself within the most Sacred wound of Thy side, and under the protecting mantle of Mary, my Mother.

May Thy holy angels assist me and preserve me in peace. May Thy blessing be upon me forevermore.

4 comments:

Michele said...

do they have that at Tan Books?

Shirley said...

I do a version of this prayer at night, but I like this one better. My version goes, "O my God, I adore Thee and love Thee with all my heart. I thank Thee for having preserved me this day; if I have done anything good, do Thou accept it. Keep me while I take my rest, and preserve me from all danger; may Thy Grace be with me always.
Then I add,
"I offer Thee every beat of my heart, every breath I take, and every moment of this night."

Shirley said...

That should read, I like your version better.

Shandon Belle said...

I don't know what I would do without the old prayerbooks that I've picked up in shops and inherited from family. They're very precious, especially the ones that give you a kind of way of life, morning offerings, prayers through the day, and prayers at night.

Good job on the blog, PMG!

God bless you!

Maeve